Dieters tongue… yes, it’s a real thing. Dieters, myself included, are always looking for ways to add volume to their food which can be especially beneficial when carbs are low. With that, the trend used to be adding zucchini to oatmeal in hopes of gaining that added volume… Now, its cauliflower. 5 oz. of cauliflower is only 7 CARBS and adds a lot of volume. I know i know… i was skeptical at first as well. However, cauliflower has a rather discrete/bland flavor and can be easily manipulated with seasonings… in this case, lots and lots of cinnamon.
In my version of cauli-oats, i opt to add egg whites instead of protein powder like you may see in other recipes. I’m not particularly fond of protein powder in my hot oatmeal (overnight oats though, yes absolutely) so i opt to use egg whites for a) added volume and b) protein.
So if you have dieters tongue and are looking for some ways to add volume to your food- continue to the recipe below.
- 5 oz. Cauliflower, raw.
- 40 g. Old Fashioned Oats
- 5 oz. Egg Whites
- Lots and Lots of Cinnamon
*you could use more/less oats/cauliflower… More cauliflower if you are lower on carbs or more oats if you have higher carbs to work with. The same with the egg whites… more or less depending on your protein macros.
*you could also use riced cauliflower or frozen cauliflower as opposed to raw.
- Weigh out 5 oz. of cauliflower.
- Chop up cauliflower into small bits.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Put microwaved cauliflower into blender and blend until smooth. (You could also use an emulsion blender as opposed to a regular blender if you wanted to- use whatever you have).
- Add water to blender and shake to get left over cauliflower. NO MACRO LEFT BEHIND (lol). Then, add to large bowl.
- Cinnamon. Don’t be shy here. Lots and lots of cinnamon.
- Add oatmeal to cauliflower mixture.
- Add about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water as needed. Stir.
- Microwave about 2.5 minutes until the majority of the water is absorbed. Stir.
- Add 5 oz. of egg whites and microwave until the egg whites are absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Cinnamon! Lots and lots of cinnamon.
- Add your desired toppings and ENJOY!
Macros, without toppings: 3F/35C/23P
Macros, with my chosen toppings: 14F/41C/31P
There ya have it..Cauliflower Oats. You can easily manipulate these ingredients to help hit your specific macro goals. If you try this recipe please comment below and let me know your thoughts. Please subscribe to this blog if you are not already and keep checking back for more.