Hello, my sweet sweet friends! Happy Friday! The majority of people look forward to Fridays because the weekend means two days off work and a chance for some holiday fun. For me, the weekend means more work, shifts at Cheesecake Factory, and no days off…Until Christmas. *insert stressed out/crying emoji here*
But it’s okay… I am going to choose to look on the bright side… That being $$$ and T minus 11 days until the fam is here to visit! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!
With so much going on, it is important to take time to unwind and destress. What could be more perfect than snuggling up on the couch, with a blanket, and a nice, hot cup of hot chocolate??
Well, instead of drinking the almost 200 calorie cup of regular hot cocoa (6F/27C/9P), I have created a lower calorie version that still tastes like the holidays… sans the extra calories. At only 53 calories, its the perfect substitute for that winter favorite.
RECIPE: LOW CALORIE HOT CHOCOLATE (1 serving)
- 1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk (could substitute cashew milk for an even creamier taste. I didn’t have any on hand so I used almond milk instead).
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp. Splenda (or sweetener of choice) *amount depends on your desired level of sweetness. PSA: I love sweeeeeeet.
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- On stove top, combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.
- Whisk together until cocoa is well incorporated. (It may look like it won’t all mix in at first, but it will… just keep whisking)
- Allow to heat up until hot throughout- or desired temp- about 3-5 minutes on medium heat. (Pay attention otherwise the hot cocoa could boil over).
- Pour into festive holiday mug (not optional) and top with mini marshmallows and/or whipped topping (optional–but really should be on there ha).
Yummy! I hope you guys enjoy this lower calorie hot chocolate and I hope it brings back special holiday memories from your childhood. You could easily double this recipe and make it for you and a friend, bf, whoever.. Give this recipe a try.. it’s so good!
What toppings do you like to put on your hot chocolate? Do you call it “hot chocolate” or “hot cocoa?” What is your favorite holiday beverage?
I hope you guys enjoy this special holiday recipe. Keep checking back for more holiday fun and be sure to spread all the holiday cheer by sharing this recipe on FB, twitter, and IG. Thanks so much.
Happy Holidays, XO