Did you know that on Super Bowl Sunday, the average American, consumes 1,200 calories from super bowl snacks alone and over 50g of fat?? I am all about the parties that revolve around food…hellooo deliciousness. However, this Super Bowl Sunday, i am currently in contest prep… so that means that i cannot just eat whatever my little heart desires. *Le sighhhh*. I know that perhaps many of you reading this are perhaps also in bikini prep or are watching what you are eating. Instead of avoiding the fun all together here are my tips for staying on track and making healthier options when you are at your Super Bowl party.
- Eat Beforehand. There is no reason to starve yourself all day before the party. This will leave you ravenous by the time you get to the party and you’ll be more than likely overeat.
- Get Moving. Start your day with a workout. Get that metabolism revved up and ready to go. You’ll likely spend 5:00 pm- who knows when sitting a lot of the time watching the game. Get moving in the morning and get up and moving during commercial breaks, half time, or just stand and watch the game as opposed to sitting the entire time.
- Consider Your Location. Are you at your apartment? Someone else’s? A bar? If you are at YOUR apartment chances are you will have more foods on hand that you can eat so why not offer to throw the party at your house? If you are going to a bar, chances are there are still healthier options you can order off the menu.. Try a burger in a lettuce wrap with sweet potato fries and ask for the burger to be cooked without oil. Opt for grilled chicken instead of fried wings. Get creative with your goals in mind. Is the party at your friend’s house? Bring a dish you can eat and enjoy that others will love as well (more to come on this).
- Bring a Dish. If it is a Super Bowl Party, chances are everyone is being some type of food/beverage with them to the party. Bring a dish, or two, that you love and can enjoy on your plan. My go to is my macro friendly buffalo chicken dip recipe found here. Delicious and macro friendly. Another dip staple i love is a macro friendly ranch dip found here. Serve along side homemade pita chips, celery, and carrots. Get creative. Bring a veggie/fruit/and cheese tray.
- Gravitate Towards Healthier Options: The veggie tray, grilled foods, nuts, popcorn without butter– are all great options while at a Super Bowl party.
- Save Your Macros. Now, i know i said to eat before going to your Super Bowl Party and this is true. What i am suggesting that instead of eating cheese on your breakfast omelette and cheese on your sandwich for lunch, maybe opt out on that second helping of cheese earlier in the day and save it for the party. Super Bowl Party foods are typically higher in fat so you would have more fat macros allotted for the party.
- Use as Your Refeed Day/Free Meal. Sunday is typically my refeed day so i have higher carb macros. This is great if you have an event or party to go to because it allows you a higher amount of carb macronutrients. If you have the option, make today your refeed day. This will give you more freedom with your food choices. If you are on prep and already used your weekly free meal, this might not be an option for you.
- Name Brand Foods. If you are eating name brand chips, dips, wings, etc, these foods are really easy to track. Simply plug the name of the food in MFP and this will give you an idea about the macronutrients in each food. If the macros are “too high” perhaps opt for a lower calorie option. This can help you choose between the Tostitos tortilla chips with guac or the DiGiorno pizza.
- Portion Sizes. Portion sizes are very important when it comes to party foods. Keep this in mind when eating calorie rich foods such as dips. A serving size is typically two tablespoons. Perhaps opt for 1 slice of pizza instead of two to save room for some other treats later.
- Stay Hydrated. Drink your water. Hunger can sometimes be confused with thirst. If you are having beer, drink water too.
- Be Mindful. It is easy to get distracted and overeat when you are staring at the television screen for hours. Use the commercial breaks to assess your hunger levels. Are you really hungry? Are you satisfied? You don’t have to eat the food just because it is there. Statistics show that many American’s spend the day after the Super Bowl feeling sick and have to take Antacid tablets. Don’t let this be you.
- Enjoy Yourself. This is so important. Spend your time with your friends and enjoying their company. Don’t let the food stress you out and distract you from the party. If you eat more food than you wanted to that’s OKAY. Don’t stress and tomorrow is a new day.
Below I have listed some of the most common Super Bowl Party Foods with some healthy alternatives and substitutions:
- Wings: Opt for boneless and without skin. Opt for baked instead of fired.
- Pizza: Opt for the pizza with leaner meats and veggies and watch your portion sizes.
- Chips: Watch portion sizes when along side dips and sauces. Choose crisp veggies such as carrots and celery to be the portal for that delicious dip.
- Popcorn: Choose popcorn without butter that has lower salt content. Im trying the Cape Cod Brand Salted Caramel Popcorn, tonight (i’ll let you know how it is). It’s made with whole grain and has really good macros. A lot of volume for the calories.
- Beer: If you choose to drink, opt for the lower calorie options such as Miller Genuine Draft 64 (64 cals: 2.4 carbs) and Bud Select 55 (55 cals: 1.8 carbs). Other low calorie options include Michelob Ultra, Miller Light, and Busch Light. All of which have 95 calories: 3.2 carbs. Alternate each beer you have with a glass of water.
- Grilled Foods: Opt for the turkey burger instead of beef. Choose chicken sausage instead of a hot dog. Choose grilled chicken over the fried wings. Through some veggies on the grill too for a tasty side.
- Soda: Skip the liquid calories and opt for water or other zero calorie options such as water flavor packets or diet soda.
So, i hope this gave you some ideas for your Super Bowl Party..Or for future parties and tailgates you attend in the future. It is possible to go out and be social without compromising your goals. As for me, i could really care less who wins the Super Bowl this year (GO COWBOYS!) but i am super excited about the caramel brownies and buffalo chicken dip i am going to eat later (all while still meeting my prep goals). Happy Super Bowl 50, Everybody! Comment below and tell me what foods you can’t live without your Super Bowl party!
Thanks so much for reading and keep checking back,